Sunday 28 December 2008

Christmas, Wii and the Englandcentric BBC

As I write (type...) its just short of 2am in the early hours of the 28th December 2008. It is only a few days until Hogmanay and a party at Rory's house. A party I happily admit that I am looking forward to because I'm buying a lovely big cigar to mark the occasion. As soon as 2009 strikes I will light it up with a Brandy and look down on everyone else as pitiful wretches engaging in their pitiful lives. Drinking putrid, vomit inducing alco-pops to their deaths. But only for that 30 minutes, then I'll crack open some more beer and partaaaay ^_^

So on to business.

Christmas Eve was just any other day. I was a little hungover from the night before; a night I mentioned in a previous entry! The sticky, sweating atmosphere of Chancers Nightclub wore me out around 2am. Its a much better club when it is a regular Tuesday night when you are alone with the middle aged slappers and the pervert middle aged men. It makes for good banter and funny events.

Christmas Day started with presents at around 11am. Loudly laid out on my bedroom table by my mother. She didn't intend to wake me, but that's not her style. I forgive her though, because she did part with money for me out of love. I got a whole host of things from both mum and sister. Shirts, DVDs, books, ornaments, shoes etc. The small collection of "Very Short Introductions" books are a particular highlight and I plan to increase my new collection. They cover all manner of topics, all of which are shown here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Short_Introductions.

I also go a CD box set of the history of the British isles by the BBC. It is an old radio series from the 1990s covering the times from 55BC to the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. It runs for a total of 29 hours. I should be happy! This gift is almost perfect but for one major flaw - Instead of the history of the whole island it is a history of England. In the booklets under the heading "The Rulers of Britain's" are the family tree's of the Kings and Queens of England. Even after the Union of Crowns and Parliaments the series is firmly England centric. Scotland and Wales are mentioned as extras only when war with England is the main topic of concern.

Being such a patriotic Scot I feel betrayed by the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation. Scotland and England joined to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain as equal partners. That means our history is as important as each other. There are no family tree's of the Scottish kings and queens. I love my sister dearly, and if she should read this blog she'll now know how much the gift means to me as a gesture, but I cannot bring myself to listen to it. Some time in the future I will, but it has made me angry and sick to my stomach. I feel so let down. Our history is important too!

*breathes* The rest of Christmas Day was standard. Play new football game. Watch some tv. Eat wonderful dinner and drink a wonderful glass of beer. Then sleep.

Boxing day was good. My best mate Fraser called and invited me over to watch tv and have dinner. At night we were invited by our other best friend Jess to a party at her mothers house which we happily went to. And its at this party that the true highlight of my week took place - the utter domination of the house by me at Mario Kart on the Nintendo Wii. Yes, Out of a total of 7 championship Cups, I won 5 of them :D Each cup has 4 races. I lost the last 2 due to alcohol intake alone. I accept your homage ^_^

So that was Christmas. Those 3 days are what christmas is to me and now that time has passed. It wasn't the shit storm of the last couple of years and for that I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment